SASTA endeavors to encourage and assist in the improvement of the technical knowledge of persons engaged in the South African sugar industry.
To this end SASTA Workshops and Field Days are arranged around topical issues pertaining to the sugarcane industry in South Africa. Presentations, guest speakers and visits to factories, farms and other sites of interest are organised to encourage information sharing and skills development.
Recent events include:
- Bio-refining (2011) – a special session during Congress
- Diversification (2010) – a special session during Congress
- A visit to the Illovo Merebank facility (2009)
- Training needs in the South African Sugar Industry (2009)
- A visit to the south coast green cane harvesting operations (2008)
- The future of energy in a cane sugar factory (2008)
- Sugar Quality Workshop (2007)